The 5 Best Moisture Meters of 2021
Leakages can easily damage your property as much as the next inconvenience. It’s important that you are able to nip the problem in the bud before it gets worse. That is why we recommend using only the best moisture meters for our outdoor structures, workshops and greenhouses.
The Best Moisture Meters for Us
As always, finding the best moisture meter can be quite challenging. We recommend that you invest in brands that have made a name over the years. To help you make the right selection, we have provided a review of the best moisture meters on the market.
KLEIN TOOLS Pinless Moisture Meter
This moisture meter from Klein tools is an efficient companion for detecting moisture in wood, masonry and drywall. Thus, it gives you the value for your money. It can check the content up to ¾ inch depth, so this proved beneficial for your greenhouse and garden.
It is designed with pinless electromagnetic field (EMF) technology that ensures quick and non-destruction moisture detection. Other great features include a low battery indicator, rubberized mode and hold buttons, auto-power saving function, and a 9V battery.
- It comes with a clear and visible numerical display
- The moisture range is indicated by nine LED bars
- Device is built with shockproof construction
- Pinless design
- Easy-to-view LCD screen
- This is not the most accurate detector when it comes to wooden surfaces.
- Should be placed on a flat surface for accurate reading
Protimeter Surveymaster Dual Moisture Meter
When it comes to detecting moisture content in rugged construction, this is the equipment for you. The Protimeter Surveymaster is among the professional’s favorites, since it can easily detect sub-surface moisture as well.
While this can come in handy in your greenhouse, it can also help you if you delve into construction, or handle the maintenance of your own home yourself. It has a non-invasive mode that lets it reach up to ¾ inch while the sharp steels can measure up to .4 inches for hardwood or softwood.
- Performs non-invasive scanning
- Large backlit display
- Ideal for professional and DIY contractors
- Monitors any changes on the detected moisture content.
- Pinless design
- The product may come off as too expensive for most users.
- Not ideal for thick concrete
SAM PRO 2.0 Dual Moisture Meter
When it comes to detecting moisture content and tracking sources of mold, then this moisture meter from Sam Pro can comes in handy. Crafted with professional-grade and high quality material, this device is set with material modes.
This meter is highly versatile as it can measure over 100 materials. It is designed with a measuring bar to indicate high and low moisture. Plus, it can tell you whether the readings of the moisture content are low, medium, or high.
- Accurate readings
- Highly versatile
- Provides Fahrenheit and Celsius readings
- Easy-to-read display
- Easy to hold and grip for use
- Determines areas of mold build-up
- Not ideal for extra thick hardwood
GENERAL TOOLS Digital Moisture Meter
This moisture meter is easy to use and a staple for mold prevention. It is also an essential device to use for your garden structures, especially your greenhouse. This digital moisture meter from General Tools comes with a readable backlit display and material selection mode for a more accurate moisture reading.
It displays the moisture content readings in low, medium, or high percentages. Overall, it is a versatile meter that can detect moisture in building materials, hardwood, or softwood.
- The cap of the pin also works as the calibration checker of the meter
- Automatically shuts off when not in use
- Viewing of data is made easier with a feature that allows the use to freeze the screen
- Highly affordable
- Great accuracy
- The device may not work as well with hard woods as it would in soft woods.
- Calibrations values may have discrepancies upon displayed
- Sharp pins are not ideal for delicate materials
TAVOOL Pinless Moisture Meter
Versatile and accuracy, this moisture meter is highly recommended if you have a lot of wood to work with. This moisture meter from Tavool isn’t only able to detect moisture. In fact, it can also aid in analyzing temperatures.
It has a large backlit screen and can be used with ease in the dark. It also has a memory function, automatic calibration, automatic sensor, 9V battery, and more.
- Bright green backlit screen
- It comes with a memory function
- Includes automatic sensors and calibration.
- Lightweight design with multiple modes
- Doesn’t display for a longer time.
- It doesn’t come with a case
Moisture Meter Buyers Guide
What is a Moisture Meter?
A moisture meter is a smart instrument used in both in construction, engineering and building evaluation. It is used to detect the amount of moisture on surfaces and materials. This tool is essential since it can help you identify areas that may pose a potential risk, or are already damaged due to moisture build-up.
Why do I need a Moisture Meter for my Garden?
If you have a greenhouse, or an indoor garden set-up, a moisture meter is an essential device to have around. That is because your garden needs to have well-monitored temperatures, humidity and conditions to keep the plants healthy.
A moisture meter is also an effective tool to help you prevent the growth of fungi or pest infestation. It can also be efficient in tracking certain areas of the structure are starting to buildup moisture.